Location: Métis Crossing, Smoky Lake, AB
Closing Date: March 5, 2021. Closing date will be extended as needed to find the perfect candidate
Position Status: Full time, Permanent
Métis Crossing is the first major Métis cultural destination in Alberta. In 2019, the new 11,000 square foot Cultural Gathering Centre was completed – a unique combination of historic and contemporary craftmanship. With this new facility, we have become a year-round destination offering experiences that share and celebrate Alberta’s Métis. We engage the head, the heart, the hands and the hunger of our visitors through exceptional facilities, food and people.
Métis Crossing seeks a culinary leader for the position of “Head Chef”. The successful applicant will be a key member of our experience team and responsible for overseeing and delivering the culinary program. With a focus on Indigenous cuisine, the Head Chef will contribute to the goals of sharing the Métis story through food. This culinary leader will have the ability to actualize concepts such as “forest and farm to table”.
- Menu planning and costing, including developing and implementing creative menu
- Ensure the consistency in preparation of all food
- Monitor and control expenditures related to food and operational
- Maintain back house inventory control
- Develop and implement kitchen standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain visible presence to the team and guests and model exceptional customer
- Resolve kitchen issues and provide guidance and direction to the kitchen
- Plan and conduct pre-shift team meetings.
- Schedule culinary team to meet the needs of Métis
- Conduct training, coaching, and performance evaluations of the kitchen
- Maintain contact with suppliers and vendors.
- Participate in development of annual
- Maintain communication with all Métis Crossing team
- Build connections with external
- Ensure all federally and provincially mandated laws and policies are strictly adhered
- Use and wear equipment, devices, and clothing required by Métis Crossing and in compliance with
- Report any issues or defective equipment.
- Adhere to WHMIS at all
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to lead a culinary team with vision and
- Strong skills with visual presentation of food and contemporary serving styles.
- Strong collaboration skills both with the Kitchen team and external
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal
- Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds and
- Flexibility to adjust to changes in schedule and assignments.
- Attention to
- Strong customer service
- Able to work both independently and with others in a
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in a noisy, fast paced, multitasking
- Must be able to lift up to 50
- Ability to work in a physical demanding area, including standing for the duration of
- Knowledge of Alberta history and cultural diversity.
- Knowledge of Alberta Métis.
- Red Seal certificate with 5+ years’ experience in a supervisory role in a foodservice operation.
- A Post-Secondary education in a recognized Hospitality or Culinary Management
- Practical hands-on knowledge and experience in all facets of food and beverage
- WHMIS, basic First Aid, and Advanced Food Safe
- Knowledge and adherence to safe and sanitary food handling procedures.
- Position will be based in Smoky Lake; this position will require someone to be on the ground frequently in Smoky The successful applicant will be required to commute to Métis Crossing daily or be willing and able to relocate.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends, and
- Must provide Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector
What we have to offer you
- The opportunity to work with a non-profit Indigenous organization and be part of an exciting journey towards self-governance.
- The opportunity to contribute to one of Alberta’s most exciting tourism destinations in the making.
- Learnings about Métis history and culture and enjoy a rich Indigenous cultural
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Employer pension
- 3 weeks paid vacation after probation period.
Please apply online at http://albertametis.com/ by March 5, 2021
Métis Crossing thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.