Our House Addiction Recovery Centre is a one-year residential addiction recovery centre for adult men. We help individuals embark on a recovery process, leading to meaningful and productive lives. Our facility houses 60 men in a supportive environment where they work to overcome their challenges in a non-institutional setting. As a residential facility, the men are served three meals per day, seven days per week. Part of the program is to perform chores, including helping in the kitchen.
Job Description – Cook (Full or Part time)
Position Summary: As one of the cooks at a residential addiction treatment centre for men the primary role of this cook is to execute the preparation of meals as per the menu plan. All cooks have the responsibility of maintaining the cleanliness and functionality of the kitchen including all of the appliances tools and implements. All roles are to be performed in accordance with food and safety standards, and to ensure that the kitchen .
This position reports to the Operations and Administration Supervisor.
Develop and maintain positive relationship with staff and clients. At times, the cooks are the only staff on site and must be able to assist with various tasks outside of the kitchen. These include client support, supervising client activities, issuing medication when required, and administering drug tests. Communication with other staff will be done via shift reports.
The hours of work are between 8AM and 5PM, seven days per week with shifts scheduled to provide full coverage.
- Prepare 3 meals each day, including special events
- Organize and manage food service
- Inspect kitchens and food service areas on a daily basis
- Clean kitchen and work areas
- Maintain inventory and records for supplies and equipment;
- Assist with training of clients in proper food handling and preparation techniques
- Plan and prepare food for recreational outings.
- Provide positive role modeling to clients.
- Minimum 1-year experience in a commercial kitchen preparing food for large groups.
- Previous experience in a kitchen where the facility residents assist with the food preparation and clean up.
- Fundamental understanding of sanitation, cleanliness and personal hygiene.
- Must have a valid driver’s licence.
Education and Training
- High school diploma
- Appropriate safe food handling certification (or willing to obtain)
- Fluent in English (able to read, write and speak English)
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and other staff members.
- Work independently and exercise independent judgment.
- Regular, predictable, and dependable attendance
- Work well under pressure, juggle multiple tasks, and manage your time well
If in recovery, two (2) years of continuous sobriety.
Pay Scale: $14.70 – $19.75 per hour
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Deadline: April 30, 2018